Here at Birlea, we pride ourselves on being an efficient, dynamic wholesale furniture supplier & manufacturer. As one of the fastest-growing, leading suppliers of furniture in the UK, Birlea Furniture are actively looking at ways to reduce our carbon footprint, to protect the planet we love for generations to come.
We’ve teamed up with Ecologi and have committed to plant 20,000 trees and offset over 400 tons of CO2 emissions (which will offset our home delivery vehicles) by the end of 2022
Ecologi, which was founded in 2019, was initially founded by a group of environmentalists in Bristol, UK. They were frustrated that many of us are not able to contribute enough to the colossal climate problem.
It started in early 2019, when Elliot was on his morning commute to work. He was buying a coffee just as he had done thousands of times before, and asked himself: How much climate action could I fund with the money for a coffee?
The answer led to a revelation – that the pocket change that billions of us have would not only be a significant upgrade to our own personal contributions to the crisis, but could also one day account for reducing half of the world’s emissions.
Ecologi fund various projects such as:
- Carbon reduction: They invest our money into a broad range of projects that are able to evidence that they are reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Tree planting: It’s now common knowledge that one of the best tools to tackle the climate crisis and keep our temperatures from rising above 1.5C is to plant trees. They are also crucial in preventing ecological collapse. Ecologi have a range of amazing tree planting partners who are able to responsibly plant millions of trees a month on our community’s behalf.
Ecologi only work with Gold Standard organisations. Gold Standard is a certification body that works to ensure every penny of climate and development funding goes as far as it can.
Other ways that we are actively trying to reduce our carbon footprint are;
- LED lighting throughout our office & warehouse space
- Paperless: All of our deliveries & proformas are now paperless. We also encourage all staff to work interactively and are aiming for a 100% paperless environment
- Reworking of damaged stock: We aim to throw no item away. For damaged items we aim to fix them and sell them, so no items are thrown away, contributing to landfill.
- Plenty of plants and trees around our offices: Plants absorb the carbon dioxide we breathe out and release fresh oxygen back into the environment, which can cleanse the air at the same time.
- Recycling: We’ve teamed up with Willshee’s waste & recycling to ensure that our waste in the UK is recycled and maintained. In 2021 we saved over 42 tonnes of Co2.
As well as our existing efforts we are also actively looking to reduce our carbon by;
- Recycling all of our goods at source, from as little as used milk bottles
- Sourcing further biodegradable materials
- Removing all plastics out of boxes
- Removing polystyrene from all packages with eco friendly alternatives